Friday, September 15, 2006

Dangerous game

To get a copy of the training schedule I wanted to follow I had to sign-up/subscribe to RunnersWorld - a magazine aimed at the budding runner - don't you know! But I thinking it's a dangerous thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I've found it really helpful and a pretty good read (if you're into the running thing!), but the danger lies in temptation. Hardly a new or original 'danger', but a danger nonetheless!

The temptation for me is to want to run every marathon going - well the flat ones anyway! The opportunity to run through some of my favorite cities (and a few I haven't yet been to) is really appealing. Admittedly running 26.2 miles or 42,195metres to do so may seem rather bizarre or extreme, but life is a strange beast and I rarely end up doing things the easy way - just ask my teachers/parents/wife!

Recognising that I am perhaps unlikely to run them all I thought I might start compiling a 'wish-list' of possible marathons (as my wife is always telling me - I am a 'list' person!). So here's what I've got so far (in no particular order):

Stockholm (June) - one of my favorite places, the race finishes in the old Olympic stadium. But at £45 it's not exactly cheap, but that doesn't seem to stop the 17,000 entrants.

Rome (March) - possibly my favorite city in the world, a city oozing with history, culture and architecture. What better way to see it? (alright I'm sure we can think of plenty more leisurely options?!) Starting and finishing around the Colosseum and taking in pretty much all of the major sites (St.Peters/The Trevi/Spanish steps) it seems like a great way to spend a few hours. Besides I don't really need too much excuse to spend a weekend in Rome!

Edinburgh (May) - while I'm a little worried this might be a 'hilly adventure' it would be great to shuffle around this wonderful place. As the promotional blurb says '26.2 miles of inspiration - an ancient castle, a beautiful coastline, an extinct volcano, a royal palace, an amazing place!' Sounds roo good to miss?! And if I can suss out whether or not 'back-to-back' marathons are feasible, next year could be a possibility.

Berlin looks good too, particularly because its an autumnal (September) event. It's a city I've yet to visit, but with 40,000 runners and the whole ballot thing this might have to stay on the wish-list a while longer.

Perhaps I should wait and see how Sunday's 20M training run goes first - I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home