Saturday, July 29, 2006

Nice one!

This morning was definitely one of those days when I would've been very happy to stay in bed. It was very tempting to feed Joshua and then to return to bed for another hour.

Generally as I give Joshua his milk I tentatively stretch off a bit, just to see how I'm feeling (you've got to 'listen' to your body you know!) and as I did this morning I wasn't quite sure. But yesterday was a rest day, so if at all possible I had to go out today. What swung it was that I was tryong a new route for an 'easy' 5 miler.

At least that was the plan.

As I got going I actually found I was feeling quite good and got into it all quite easily withthe first mile going past in a little over 7 minutes (it probably should've been at 8.5-9 minute pace). Unfortunately I hadn't taken any notice of any further mile 'markers' so I wasn't really aware of my pace generally.

That was until the loop headed back and I passed the first mile marker (now the 4 mile marker) and realised I was on for a decent time. It's worth noting at this point that tomorrow's goal (and indeed the 'goal' of the last 4 weeks) was to run either a sub-40 6M or sub-32 5M - neither of which I really held any hope of achieving (not yet anyway). But as I glanced at my watch with a mile to go and saw that it was just passing the 26 minute mark I felt compelled to see how close I could get to the 32 minute mark.

I reckon I made a lot of noise as I puffed and panted my way through Stratford High Street to the 'finish', but it was worth it, well worth it, as the clock stopped at 31:45.

To say I was chuffed is an understatement. I felt good and was really encouraged to think that hopefully if I'd actually set out for a fast time I would be able to go faster. But only time will tell?!

I knew those fartleks were a good idea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home